Because life’s celebrations shouldn’t cost the Earth

Tuesday 15 January 2013

Appliqued Christmas Bunting & Stockings

So before I start on my spring themed sewing , I thought I would post a couple of pictures of my Christmas 2012 creations.  

Firstly a string of 'Noel' bunting;


And some patchwork stockings which I thought would be popular....


...... until the children told me they weren't 'big enough'!



********

I also stitched a couple of designs inspired by the fantastic work of Nancy Halvorsen.  I love her nativity designs, so adapted them from her original which was she intended to be used as a wall quilt.  I simplified it and made it more suitable for the front of my stockings.




I created the main panels of each stocking using my two favourite techniques of the moment; raw edge applique and free-motion embroidery.  The top half of each stocking is simply patchwork squares, which I then quilted by 'stitching in the ditch'.  This made them feel lovely and thick, especially as I upcycled thermal curtain linings for the batting/wadding!  On the same theme, the linen used both for Joseph's head-dress and the cow came from a pair of old summer trousers.  I was pretty pleased with the finished item until I pressed it, at which point one of the squares slightly shrunk so I must have used a poly-cotton mix....sigh!


No comments:

Post a Comment