Because life’s celebrations shouldn’t cost the Earth

Wednesday 19 March 2014

Pretty Vintage Caravan Applique

Free Motion Embroidered Linen Pencil Case


There is something about the Spring sunshine that brings out the wanderlust and I've reflected this in today's sewing project.  It's a little linen pencil case embellished with a raw edge applique based on this digital stamp by Handmade Harbour.



Zipper pouches are so versatile and whilst I designed it with pencils in mind, it would also make a great make-up bag or mini travel pack. The colours are perfect for Spring and the bunting looks really cheery!


It's for one of my dearest friends who celebrates her birthday next week.  She is a talented artist who loves travelling.  I first met her almost twenty years ago when she was a Head of Year in a school in the North East of England and we've been friends ever since. She's such a talented needle woman and I often think of her when I am stitching.  When she lived in the North East we would sometimes work on projects together and she was always bemused by my need to measure everything at least twenty times before I would start work.  She, by contrast, would just grab her scissors and start hacking, I was always transfixed by this and would watch in awe.  The upshot of our very different methods was that her work was always better than mine!  In honour of this, I didn't obsess over measuring the pouch and I now don't think the caravan is placed quite straight, I guess I'm just not up to her standards, but I know she will smile when she sees it!


Happy Birthday Joan!


18 comments:

  1. Love, love, love this - am sure your friend will too xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really enjoying looking at all your fabulous projects and they are inspiring me to get my needle and threads out! Just gorgeous! I loved the egg cosies and hope they are a big hit at Easter - I'm sure they will be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful I am sure your friend will love it. I like the idea of using digital stamps too, must investigate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really cute! The art in this is not to get the caravan architecturally straight, but to create a beautiful and unique piece of work, which is pleasing to the eye. You have done this, you have produced a beautifully balanced picture with the bunting and the caravan, and if I were your friend, I would be thrilled with this!

    PS, did you know you are a 'no reply blogger'?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your blog after you posted on mine. Wow! I really like what you make!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great! Anyone would be happy and smiling receiving this pencilcase as a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, that is lovely. I can't believe how many times I click on something beautiful and it brings me here! (I'm not complaining!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Julia, you've just made my day with such a kind comment!

      Delete
  8. This is absoutely beautiful. Did you stabilse the fabric with Bondaweb before you appliqued it? Didn't realise you were in the NE too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did use Bondaweb, but didn't go right to the edge with it. I wanted a slightly frayed effect to add a little 'shabby chic' to the raw edge applique.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Josie, thank you so much for your visit and kind comment, I love to see new faces on my blog.
    I thought I would return the visit and so glad I have as your projects are beautiful I love your designs and all the little appliques you use. I used to sew, but never beautiful projects such as yours. I'm really a knitter and a card maker
    You pussy cat is adorable, they are such fun and real characters, good to meet you, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, the caravan pencil case is adorable! I L-O-V-E it! The attention to detail is super, cute little birdie, thanks for sharing!
    Best wishes, Jay x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the applique on the pencil case. It is so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  13. May I suggest another use for your darling pencil case? I'm a quilter and needle worker by hand and I am always looking for cute and portable ways to carry my supplies with me for lost moments at the doctor's office or stitching with friends. I was looking at your project and thinking a needle book, thread for the current project, and a pair of embroidery scissors, with a cover on the end, such as a wine cork, would fit beautifully in there and be cute at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely idea, thanks for sharing! Do you have a blog? I would love to see your work x

      Delete
  14. Hello and I love your work! I used this photo for inspiration when using up some scrap fabric to make a camping travel bag for a friend. I was going to share my photos on my social media account and wanted to tag you. Do you have an Instagram account or would you like me to mention your blog?

    ReplyDelete