Because life’s celebrations shouldn’t cost the Earth

Thursday 30 June 2016

Time Flies! - Appliqued Clock

Sewing World Magazine July 2016




The July issue of Sewing World Magazine is in the shops now and I was delighted to see that my appliqued linen clock made the front cover.  I took my inspiration from the gorgeous bookplates found in antique Victorian texts, when entomology was a popular pastime for the educated middle classes!    




I used a 30cm diameter clock making kit which made the whole process very straight forward and the resulting impressive timepiece would look really elegant displayed on the wall of a lounge or garden room. 




I also gave designer credit to my lovely son George who whipped out his protractor to draft the seconds increments at perfect 6 degree spacings - I hate maths and he loves it!

In keeping with most of my projects, the main technique used was free motion machine embroidery which is basically drawing with thread!  I love this type of raw edge applique as it is so adaptable and suitable for any design, modern or traditional.  I don't lower my feed dogs to achieve this result as I prefer to simply use an open-toed foot, so I guess strictly speaking mine isn't actually 'free motion'!












8 comments:

  1. What a fun appliquéd piece! I am intrigued by your "faux" motion embroidery. I've tried to teach myself how to do this, but your method may be easier for me. I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is fabulous Josie, definitely a cover star! Our wall clock has just died and this would be a great replacement I will have to see if I can get my daughter in law to bring me over that magazine when they visit in a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe...Such a sweet clock! I wish I had just a pinch of your talent Josie. Happy 4th to you. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely idea for a clock. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Josie, you are a genious. Its sew neat! Sharon x

    ReplyDelete
  6. The clock looks great! I'm always in awe of free motion embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful. I love your embroidery and the fabrics that you chose for your appliqués are always fab. The clock is inspired. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your Free Motion Embroidery!!!

    ReplyDelete