Because life’s celebrations shouldn’t cost the Earth

Friday 27 January 2017

Valentine's Applique Wall Hanging Pattern

Sewing World Magazine February 2017




February's Sewing World Magazine is in the shops now and features lots of lovely Spring and Valentine's projects for you to sew, including my floral 'Loving Hearts' applique wall hanging;






The magazine has a pull out section with full size patterns for each of the makes, along with step by step colour photos and easy to follow written instructions.




Wall hangings offer a great way to display mini-quilts and I use a really simple method to create the casings to hold the dowling hanger (or old knitting needle!).




The quote comes from a traditional Greek proverb and is perfectly complimented with hearts, flowers and vines.  Not surprisingly I designed it to include lots of raw edge applique and free-motion embroidery, as they're my absolute favourite techniques!

The use of black, both in the stitching and binding, adds a really contemporary feel to the hanging and it would fit into any room whether modern or traditional!




Happy Valentine's Day!




10 comments:

  1. Love it Josie! The black really makes everything jump out at you - I would never have dared to use black! Better nip to the shops for my copy...
    Tina ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. How adorable Josie . Hope you have a wonderful weekend . Hugs and blessings , Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josie, it's lovely and soooo neat. Double whammy, super project and published too. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lovely. I actually saw this first in the magazine so I'm happy to have discovered your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great project Josie, so many of the Valentine's projects you see are too sugary and sweet for me, but this is just right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so pretty, I see a trip to the shops in my future when that magazine might just fall into my basket somehow!
    The dowling pockets idea is genius, I have a lovely mini quilt a friend made for me and at the moment we put it on the table like a centerpeice type mat (I'm not describing this very well!) I'm worried about a spill of tea getting on it and was just thinking I'd rather put it on the wall. This could be the answer, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Josie, just to let you know your beautiful embroidery is one of the features over at this weeks #HandmadeMonday :-)

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on another publication!
    It looks a great pattern, I must see if the magazine is still in the shops ..... I'm a bit late but will look for it!
    Well done Josie!
    Barbara x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet quote, made all the more so by the applique.

    ReplyDelete