Because life’s celebrations shouldn’t cost the Earth

Thursday 19 February 2015

Style at Home February 2014 - Finally Shared!

Better late than never

As the children are at home this week on their half term holiday, I've not been sewing.  Instead we've been going on fun day trips, in return for one boring day spent in the house tidying......but look what we found;


A copy of Style at Home magazine which featured our family room. It is the February 2014(!) issue and when our copy arrived it was duly read but then found its way into a coffee table drawer where it has languished for the whole year.  


The feature was in partnership with B&Q with an emphasis on storage products and warming colour tones


The room is a great size with a vaulted ceiling and lots of glass.  It has a different feel to the rest of the house with natural wood finish windows and Venetian blinds, creating a harmonious flow into views of the garden.  At least that was the idea, but the 'look' is somewhat spoiled by what's usually in that big empty space......Mr. Larkin's road bike fixed up to a turbo trainer!   



The photos were taken just before Christmas 2013, which explains the string of green and red tartan bunting hanging above the French doors. The leather chair was later moved to make way for our Christmas tree, the high ceiling means we can accommodate a nice large one. As the pictures were taken in winter the light is quite subdued,  but in summer the room is absolutely bathed in sunlight.



It's been lovely having the children at home, although I'm looking forward to having more time next week to write and post some tutorials.  I have done quite a few lately but they all seem to have been guest features for other blogs, it's about time I did some for this blog!




19 comments:

  1. Oooh thanks for sharing - I am so nosy I love looking at other peoples homes and look forward to your tutorials (although I never seem to find time to do any of the things I bookmark - huh???). Getting the house tidy while the kids are at home never seems to happen although I dont know why as one of them just stays in his room all day :-(. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great room. All that natural daylight is beautiful and opening out onto the garden is fabulous for the summer. It looks so peaceful, I bet it gets a lot of use. I am at home this week too and have spent a whole day cleaning and packing things up for the charity shop. I love being at home but haven't had any time sewing either. That will change tomorrow. Hope you get some time soon. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a lovely bright room, how exciting being featured in the magazine. You have some lovely ideas. Last day of half term tomorrow, the kids going back means I go back also so less time to make for me. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a gorgeous room, I love warm wood too! A lovely feature! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh,I also like peeks into other people's houses. It looks like a lovely bright and airy room. My house is full of half term chaos xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely large airy room Josie, and oh, so tidy! No crafting for me either this week, my kids are teenagers so they no longer leave toys lying about but they seem to leave everything else! Have.a good weekend. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your space is awesome and one I'm certain the entire family enjoys. What a great room and so tastefully presented. Congrats on the feature, Josie!

    Happy week,
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that room looks amazing. Seeing other people's homes always makes me feel slightly jealous, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful, bright and airy space this is. It's fun to come across things like this that you have forgotten all about.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely size room, with lots of light:) my sewing has been somewhat reduced with half term too, my idea of the children playing happily for a couple of hours at a time did not materialise!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely room - loads of space and light - and how exciting to be featured in a magazine. Your story of the bike reminded me of my dad. He was a keen racing cyclist and in the winter used to store his bike in the airing cupboard (which mum wasn't too happy about!!). He used to have rollers, too, for when the weather was bad (he hates the rain!).

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fabulous space, I'm quite envious. It must be amazing having one of your rooms in a magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, a room featured in a magazine, that's impressive! Is it always that tidy?

    ReplyDelete
  14. A brilliant space and love the way you have decorated it

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gorgeous room, it must be so lovely and light when the sun is shining. I can imagine it being a weird feeling to see your home pictured in a magazine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your blog and will be back often I'm sure ~ and, as I shall be retiring shortly, trying some of your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on your feature!! I love how light and inviting your family room is :).

    Leah @ TheShelfSociety

    x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Josie, just found my way over to your lovely blog. What a beautiful room, lots of light and nice to have plenty of room for a big Christmas tree. Congratulations on the magazine article.
    Polly

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful space with so much light. Congrats on your magazine article.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete